the Beef Stew Poets & Readings
Notes and Topics (getting
filled out folks)
email me if you have stuff to add here!
- About Beef Stew, Expat writers find each other, mostly poets, some book chapters too, and great guitar, a talented bunch.
- Beginnings: in 1992 (?) first met at a space near Andel, moved to the basement of Club Radost in 1993 (?)
- Flavor of the Evenings: nice dark room, occaisionally noisey dring refridgerator, signup sheet and open mike (well no mike actually, just a stool), great "chain" poetry, beers in hand, break, tooo many smokers (stay in back please), nearby art gallery
- Quotations: who said what, funny? hecklers? The famous Irish heckler, and the total shock of the American readers (brits more used to this).
- News Coverage of BeefStew (was there any?)
- Publications: Gristle Floss (no longer produced and there are online materials) and Optimism Monthly, a journal of writers and their life in Prague. Alan Ward (pictured in these pages) was editor for 3 years. This journal features many well known ex-pat Prague writers including Anthony Tognazzini, Jim, Freeling, Jim Freeman and Stuart Horwitz. See this excellent interview with Alan on the pages of Optimism.
- Cartoons, art and other accountings of BeefStew including Ken Nash's Prague Cartoons, published in the Prague Post from 1992-94 and were included in his toon book "Prague on 13 Beers a Day". Also see Ken's great Cartoon Pages. These pages will give you the flavor of the Expat community as good as anything.
- Characters and Leaders: Anthony Tognazzini, David Freeling, Jim Freeman
- Where are they Now? Alan Ward and Jim Freeman are still in Praha, anyone else?
- Visit Jim Freeman's page at www.praguewriter.com
Paul Martia and the author of this site, Bruce Damer, Bridge, Spring 1994
Freeman, Mala Strana
See his page at www.praguewriter.com
|Beefstew poets Paul Martia and Alan Ward, Bridge, Spring 1994|
Scenes from Beef Stew Readings at Club Radost, 1993-97
Scenes from the "Beef Stew" Sunday night readings at the Club Radost circa 1994. Featured left to right David Freeling, Ed Steussy and ?
|David Freeling poeting forth|
Other sightings of Beef Stew Writers
Party at my house with some Beef Stewees, Freeling and Freeman from left, see more images at My Life in Prague
Back to Americans In Prague Page
Click here to contact Bruce or send comments on this website.
[ home | news | projects | photos | art | pen | voice | vid | contact | search ]
(cc) 1996- Bruce Damer... want to use something from this site? See rights granted under my Creative Commons license and contact me.